“May Adam Eat From Any Tree?”
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Question: Genesis 1:29 God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you.” This is followed by Genesis 2:16 where God says, “The LORD God commanded the man, saying, ‘From any tree of the garden you may eat freely.” Then in Genesis 2:17, God forbids eating saying, “but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die." So which is it: may Adam eat from any tree, or not?
Answer: I remember visiting my grandmother through the summers and especially looked forward to all those wonderful things that came from her kitchen. As long as I had permission, I could eat anything—but there was one thing I could not eat. Right in the middle of the table was a bowl of fruit. I could not eat that, and it was not because I did not have her permission. It was because it was not edible fruit—it was plastic!
Adam may eat from any tree given for food. As a matter of fact, he must eat from every tree given for food or else he will die. Look at Genesis 2:9, “Out of the ground the LORD God caused to grow every tree that is pleasing to the sight and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.” Adam has a choice that depends on man’s obedience to God—if he does not eat, he dies. Man must live by eating! If Adam dies, who will work the soil?
But is every tree for food? There is one tree that is not for food and it is identified separately from every other tree: Adam must not eat from this tree, or he will die by eating. Adam has a choice that depends on his obedience to God. Would he die because it was inedible? No but because he disobeyed God’s command.
Answer: I remember visiting my grandmother through the summers and especially looked forward to all those wonderful things that came from her kitchen. As long as I had permission, I could eat anything—but there was one thing I could not eat. Right in the middle of the table was a bowl of fruit. I could not eat that, and it was not because I did not have her permission. It was because it was not edible fruit—it was plastic!
Adam may eat from any tree given for food. As a matter of fact, he must eat from every tree given for food or else he will die. Look at Genesis 2:9, “Out of the ground the LORD God caused to grow every tree that is pleasing to the sight and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.” Adam has a choice that depends on man’s obedience to God—if he does not eat, he dies. Man must live by eating! If Adam dies, who will work the soil?
But is every tree for food? There is one tree that is not for food and it is identified separately from every other tree: Adam must not eat from this tree, or he will die by eating. Adam has a choice that depends on his obedience to God. Would he die because it was inedible? No but because he disobeyed God’s command.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...