Heroes Day of Valor; or, ''Araw ng Kagitingan" (Philippines)
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
April 9, 1942, Japanese troops received the surrender of 76,000 troops (the majority being Filipino and American along with thousands of Chinese). These starving, diseased troops were forced to march over 90 miles to an internment camp and hundreds never arrived, dying along the way of sickness, infection or were simply executed. Some managed to escape. Today is the Veterans Day of the Philippines, remembering those who were swept up in the Bataan Death March. Today is the Heroes Day of Valor.
Heroes. We have plenty of them--but Heroes of Valor? What does this word, “valor” mean, anyway? Who cares to look it up? Perhaps one should. A fresh definition may change one's view of the hero . . .
Early sea voyagers theorized that Atoll islands were built by coral-animals for the purpose of personal protection. Scientific observation revealed this fascinating fact: coral-builders can only live in the open ocean, particularly where there is plenty of aeration (provided by active wave-action). So which is stronger: the one who lives in protection and comfort, or the one who endures hardship, being made into a man or woman with character?
Valor is not a word commonly used today I fear that Heroes of Valor are on the endangered list. No pun is intended, but a point is being made: men and women of valor are few and far between because few actually understand courage and danger. We substitute courage with comfort. This is probably one reason why Superheroes are making a comeback because the best we can do is fantasize what courage must look like then try to live vicariously through cosplay.
I find a fresh reason to thank our troops who fight for our freedom. I find reason to expand my view of a hero of valor to men and women who stand up for right--and stand up and stand up and stand up.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...