Heroes Day of Valor; or, ''Araw ng Kagitingan" (Philippines)
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
April 9, 1942, Japanese troops received the surrender of 76,000 troops (the majority being Filipino and American along with thousands of Chinese). These starving, diseased troops were forced to march over 90 miles to an internment camp and hundreds never arrived, dying along the way of sickness, infection or were simply executed. Some managed to escape. Today is the Veterans Day of the Philippines, remembering those who were swept up in the Bataan Death March. Today is the Heroes Day of Valor.
Heroes. We have plenty of them--but Heroes of Valor? What does this word, “valor” mean, anyway? Who cares to look it up? Perhaps one should. A fresh definition may change one's view of the hero . . .
Early sea voyagers theorized that Atoll islands were built by coral-animals for the purpose of personal protection. Scientific observation revealed this fascinating fact: coral-builders can only live in the open ocean, particularly where there is plenty of aeration (provided by active wave-action). So which is stronger: the one who lives in protection and comfort, or the one who endures hardship, being made into a man or woman with character?
Valor is not a word commonly used today I fear that Heroes of Valor are on the endangered list. No pun is intended, but a point is being made: men and women of valor are few and far between because few actually understand courage and danger. We substitute courage with comfort. This is probably one reason why Superheroes are making a comeback because the best we can do is fantasize what courage must look like then try to live vicariously through cosplay.
I find a fresh reason to thank our troops who fight for our freedom. I find reason to expand my view of a hero of valor to men and women who stand up for right--and stand up and stand up and stand up.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
The Island-Fish
“O ye passengers, whom may God preserve! come up quickly in to the ship, hasten to embark, and leave your merchandise, and flee with your lives, and save yourselves from destruction; for this apparent island, upon which ye are, is not really an island, but it is a great fish that hath become stationary in the midst of the sea, and the sand hath accumulated upon it, so that it hath become like an island, and trees have grown upon it since times of old; and when ye lighted the fire upon it, the fish felt the heat, and put itself in motion, and now it will descend with you into the sea, and ye will all be drowned: then seek for yourselves escape before destruction, and leave the merchandise.—The passengers, therefore, hearing the words of the master of the ship, hastened to go up into the vessel, leaving the merchandise, and their other goods, and their copper cooking-pots, and their fire-pots; and some reached the ship, and others reached it not. The island had moved, and descended...
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...