Three New Additions To My Desk

Image
Actually, it’s an ad-duck-tion. I missed the perfect opportunity to say, “and they’re in a row, too!” Silly goose. 

"Arriving" on Life's Journey

I am just now looking through my blog subscriptions and one in particular has been posting strings of self-help-style posts:

“5 Simple Ways To . . .”
“4 Warning Signs That . . .”
“How To Solve 10 . . .”
“30 Second To . . .”
“Avoid These 4 . . .”

This is where we are, in the age of fast, pat answers. Has someone written a computer program, having found the algorithms of life that produce solutions to nearly every problem imaginable? Don’t be fooled. It’s not that easy.

Life is a journey we all make together. We are born, we will die; however, what takes place in the  “dash between the dates” is unique. Where is life’s journey taking us and how do we know we’ve arrived? The beginning is definite, so when did we begin to think the end is nebulous? How is it we’ve become convinced that the challenges of the journey are met with simplistic answers? How did the human race survive before the internet? Seems impossible.

One question that cannot be answered in the algorithm is: “who am I?” See, as we travel the journey of life, we get caught up in the journey and forget the one who is travelling. We forget we are travelling with others. The only way to find the answer is to return to our Maker.

So you shall observe to do just as the LORD your God has commanded you; you shall not turn aside to the right or to the left. You shall walk in the way which the LORD your God has commanded you, that you may life, and that it may be well with you, and that you may prolong days in the land which you shall possess.” (Deuteronomy 5:32-33).

An idea is floating around out there somewhere that says, “you can’t tell me how to live my life. I am who I am--I am my own person.” Perhaps there is an element of truth to this: I can’t tell you how to live, nor can I tell you how to be. It is unfair to be compared to someone else. Yet, our Creator tells us how to live with the end result of an abundant life. These words were originally said to an entire nation who (at that time) had no place to call their own--they were on a journey. No pat answers for them. No internet. Just the narrow way of doing what the LORD God said. When they obeyed, they knew when they’d finally arrived.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception