Happy Breakfast Club Day!

Image
It was actually yesterday, but you know how these calendars work.  Things to do today: 1) ponder the error of your ways; 2) take a moment to dance a little; 3) have a snack; 4) enjoy a makeover (if applicable); 5) be specific when describing the ruckus. 6) Don’t forget about me.

"Tabata": Life

At first I thought “Tabata” meant "have a great Monday", but by the end of my workout yesterday I realized there was a slight mistranslation. It’s more like, "I think I'm going to be sick." I can think of two times in my life when I exercised so hard that I got physically ill--and both instances were back in High School. Yes, Tabata really took me back. Thanks for the memories. Seriously, and with all due respect, “Tabata” is the last name of a doctor who designed the fitness routine. Let your fingers do the Googling, for more information.

Yesterday's WOD (Workout of the Day) started with a warm up of (5x) 100m sprints and (3x) 10 Pull-ups. The WOD was Tabata burpees, air squats, pushups and AB Mat straight leg sit-ups. "Tabata" (for the uninitiated) means 20 second of work (max effort) and 10 seconds of rest for 8 rounds. Start with the first maneuver for 8 rounds, then do the second maneuver until done. 20 minutes of no-hands riding the Happy-Go-Pukey.

Just to show how much I need help, I can't wait to see what today's WOD brings.

Yes, there is a spiritual principle here.

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves; we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body. For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.” (2 Corinthians 4:7-11)

The realm of physical fitness has me wanting more, but when it comes to the pain found in the life experiences while following Christ, that is less appealing—we are disinclined to continue, but we must. By the second round of the second exercise, I was ready to quit. There are times when a spiritual battle rages so hard against us, we want to quit. We will do anything to make it stop—pain hurts! I can’t catch my breath, yet the machine rolls on! The truth is we will come bruised but uncrushed, a little light-headed and disoriented but remembered by God, intact with the life of our Lord and Savior manifested in us. Gasping, but full of the Spirit when we obey.

Hang on. Press through.

We have intense periods of spiritual “max effort” and short periods of rest, but the ordeal does not last forever. The result is strength for the next go-round and the glory of God in Christ as He accomplishes His purpose in us and through us.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Finished Reading: “An Essay Concerning the True Original Extent and End of Civil Government.”