Three New Additions To My Desk

Image
Actually, it’s an ad-duck-tion. I missed the perfect opportunity to say, “and they’re in a row, too!” Silly goose. 

"What's REALLY Going On"

Ok, I wasn’t going to say anything, but now must. Some might think that I’m a conspiracy theorist, but I’m not. Nor am I looney. At least, I don’t think I am--a conspiracy theorist, that is. Just bear with me and make your own decision.

The other day, I was minding my own business out in my yard like I always do, like anyone does--and everyone should do--mind their own business. Anyway, I was out in the yard (I said that already, didn’t I?) watching my grass turn brown as it always does when Summer gives way to Fall. I was thinking about how my neighbor across the street sowed Winter grass seed into his yard and how it always stays green. And I was thinking about how quickly all the leaves in my little tree seemed to fall off so quickly, all at once.

So I hear this crunching sound, of someone walking up behind me. “The little girl from next door must be coming over to say ‘hello’” I thought to myself. I tried to come up with some fun way to greet her when suddenly the crunching noise stopped and a tiny, sound came to my ears, like someone was talking through ceramic.

“Ahem. A-hem!” came the voice. I turned, but no one was there.

“Hey!” a voice called through pottery. Then I felt it. A sharp pain in my toe.

“Ow!” I exclaimed. As I brought my foot up reflexively, I saw him. Right down there. At my feet. Having driven his little tiny mining pick through my shoe, he glared at me. “Got your attention now, have I?”

“Uhhh, yes . . . “ I cautiously answered, staring at the garden gnome.
My Visitor

“Good. ‘Cause I gotta tell you about what’s REALLY going on around here,” he piped matter-of-factly.

Ok. My attention was arrested. Manacled. Shackled. Fettered and bound to this pot-bellied, er, pot that stood before me. “Does that pointy hat ever come off?” I wondered to myself. “What do they look like . . ?”

“Hey!” he shouted. I jumped.

“You listening?” Pointing his mining pick at me. I nodded, feeling threatened.

“Good. ‘Cause it’s time someone knew.” He stepped toward me, looking to his right, then to his left--as if watching for spies.

“C’mere,” he gestured, whispering. “Get lower. Lower.” I hunkered down, turning my head to hear his tiny voice. “I’m gonna tell you . . . “

“What?” I whispered, wide eyed. Listening. I could feel something like breath on my ear, a tiny wind, only it was cold. Instantly my ear felt shot through like a bee sting.

“Tag! You’re 'IT'!”

From my spot on the ground where I fell backwards, all I could see where little black boots running under his fat bouncing ceramic bottom as he disappeared into the bushes.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception