Bathtub Party Day

Yes, there really is such and thing, and today's the day for it (not to be confused with International Bath Day on June 14).

Let me put your mind at ease, as someone may be wondering I could support a thing such as a Bathtub Party. Depends what you're thinking, I guess.

I'm confident the day does not advocate a gathering of friends in tub, though without doubt few revelers may try. If this were a political party (in this day and age, you just never know) I might consider joining but I'm sure a Bathtub Party is not political. 

If we were in England, we would call this "Bathtub Day" (no party). Legend has it that the bathtub was introduced to England on this day in 1828--or was it December 7? Of course one finds this difficult to believe considering the existence of Greek and Roman tubs and the fact that Romans did make their way across England in the early Hundreds A.D. . . .
Greek bath in Nestor's Palace
Regardless, based on what I've read "out there" (including the definitive "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader"), I get the idea that the purpose of Bathtub Party Day is to slow down, relax. This is a showering age--get in, get out, get dry and get on to the next thing. But not today. This is a no-hurry-treat-yourself-to-something-nice day.

Today, take some time for yourself. Immerse yourself neck deep in some hot water, maybe toss in some Epsom salts, fragrances (if you like that kind of thing) and just float a while. I mean, hey, the pools' closed this time of year. So why not just have a Bathtub Party? And if it's appropriate--invite a friend!


Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception