Three New Additions To My Desk

Image
Actually, it’s an ad-duck-tion. I missed the perfect opportunity to say, “and they’re in a row, too!” Silly goose. 

today's prayer

Psalm 131: A Song of degrees of David.

This psalm contains, (1.) David's candid profession of his contentment with his lot, ver. 1-2. (2.) His warm encouragement of others to a constant dependence on God, ver. 3.

While I sing it, let me be ashamed of my pride, and of meddling with things above my sphere. Let me desire humility, as my great ornament, in every station; and study, like a child of God, weaned from worldly lusts, to set all my hope on God himself.

1 My heart not haughty is, O Lord,
mine eyes not lofty be;
Nor do I deal in matters great,
or things too high for me.

2 I surely have myself behav'd
with quiet sp'rit and mild,
As child of mother wean'd: my soul
is like a weaned child.

3 Upon the Lord let all the hope
of Israel rely,
Ev'n from the time that present is
unto eternity.

(from: "The Psalms of David in Metre with Notes" by John Brown (1722-1787) of Haddington.)

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception