Comforting Words (part 5): The God of All Comfort
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Last time
we explored “Three Reasons To Find Comfort In The Trinity.” Paul writes that
God is to be praised because our God is the Father of mercies and the God of
all comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3) The truth we investigate here is that God
receives praise because of Who He is: The God of all comfort!
The
comfort Jesus received while ministering here on earth is the same comfort Paul
received during his ministry and is the same we receive today because the
Father loves His Son. Listen Zechariah prophesy over his son, John:
“And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Most High; for
you will go before the Lord to prepare his ways, to give knowledge of salvation
to his people in the forgiveness of their sins, because of the tender mercy of
our God, whereby the sunrise shall visit us from on high to give light to those
who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way
of peace." (Luke 1:76-79).
John’s
life was explained by the Father of Mercy. Did you see it? John will do all these things "because of the tender mercy of our God . . ." Realize also how the first mercy ministry
of the church is connected to the proclamation of the forgiveness of sins found
in Christ.
The tender mercy of our God is really plural, "mercies." They are without number:
The tender mercy of our God is really plural, "mercies." They are without number:
“I will come into Your house in the multitude of Your mercy.” (Ps 5:7)
“Have mercy upon me, O God, According to Your lovingkindness;
According to the multitude of Your tender mercies, Blot out my
transgressions.” (Ps 51:1)
“Yet in Your manifold mercies You did not forsake them in the
wilderness. The pillar of the cloud did not depart from them by day, To lead
them on the road; Nor the pillar of fire by night, To show them light, And the
way they should go.” (Neh 9:19)
God gives
us what we do not deserve. “[Through] the LORD's mercies we are
not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. [They are] new every morning;
Great [is] Your faithfulness.” (Lam 3:22)
I find great comfort to know that His mercy outnumbers, outweighs
my sins.
His mercy explains my life. Does it, yours?
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...