Finish
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Someone recently asked me, "how many push-ups can you do?"
I have no clue. One of my warm-ups often include up to 50. Note I said, "warm-ups."
The pic here was taken during Murph, a memorial workout that consists of a 1 mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 squats and then another mile run. That's me over there, catching my breath.
I like push-ups and I do them until I can't do any more. The great thing about push-ups is that you can take them anywhere. Can't take a bench-press with you wherever you go, but you can push your body up off the floor. I'm not a Navy person, but if I was on a ship getting tossed about in 40 foot swells, you would not find me on a bench press.
Push-ups is just one training exercise that taught me that I can accomplish what I set my to accomplish. I had no plan but to finish. If I have 50 or 100 or 200 to do, I push myself to finish. The same is true with many things in my life. Finish.
Finish sweaty, finish hurting, but finish. Dig deep, but finish.
I have no clue. One of my warm-ups often include up to 50. Note I said, "warm-ups."
The pic here was taken during Murph, a memorial workout that consists of a 1 mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 squats and then another mile run. That's me over there, catching my breath.
I like push-ups and I do them until I can't do any more. The great thing about push-ups is that you can take them anywhere. Can't take a bench-press with you wherever you go, but you can push your body up off the floor. I'm not a Navy person, but if I was on a ship getting tossed about in 40 foot swells, you would not find me on a bench press.
Push-ups is just one training exercise that taught me that I can accomplish what I set my to accomplish. I had no plan but to finish. If I have 50 or 100 or 200 to do, I push myself to finish. The same is true with many things in my life. Finish.
Finish sweaty, finish hurting, but finish. Dig deep, but finish.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...
