Grandparent's Day!

Yes, it’s Grandparent’s Day! Actually, in the United States we’ve been celebrating Grandparent’s Day since 1978--in September--but it’s not September, is it? It’s January. Well, just as we have “Mother’s Day” in May and “Father’s Day” in June here in America, Poland reserves Monday January 21 for “Grandma’s Day” (Dzień Babci) and Tuesday January 22 is “Grandpa’s Day” (Dzień Dziadka)!

I like this idea of having these days to ourselves because my wife is both “Mom” and “Nana.” I am both “Dad” and a “Papa!” We are sort of a “Version 1.0” to our 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5. Then there is our little 3.0 that makes us Grandparents.

One feature that stands out about this observance is how many countries intentionally set aside a day to honor Grandparents. This is a day to appreciate culture and heritage: where we come from, who we come from, what they did. I recall many years ago when in Junior High School I interviewed my grandfather by phone, recording our conversation and writing a report. I wish I still had the tape; regardless, the conversation impacted me as I grew to love and appreciate both my Pop and my Grandad.

Here’s an idea: interview your grandparents. Here’s a list of suggested questions to ask, or be inspired to do more through StoryCorps.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception