Three New Additions To My Desk

Image
Actually, it’s an ad-duck-tion. I missed the perfect opportunity to say, “and they’re in a row, too!” Silly goose. 

Peace For The Marathon Boy

Today was the Boston Marathon. Congratulations to the winner.

But do you remember Martin? He was 8 years old when he died at the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013 when two bombs exploded. Martin was one of three who died that day. 264 others were injured.

A marathon is a long race and it is said that the first "marathon" was run by a Greek soldier who ran to Athens with the news that Greeks had defeated the Persians at The Battle Of Marathon. It was a race to bring good news. An "evangelion," that is, "good news," of sorts.

In the video below you'll note that Martin had a message. There's a picture of Martin holding a blue sign that says, "No more hurting people. Peace." Martin believed in peace and he seemed to be vocal about it. That's about all I know about Martin, that he stood for peace.

There's a personal thought here though: I'm a father and a grandfather with thoughts and feelings that only a father can have for his children. The kinds of things that Martin's father must have had for his son. There are so many ways a father can lose a child, a son or daughter--and losing a child hurts. Especially when children make choices that are not the best. When a child chooses to make better choices, then a father's heart races. But you know what? I'll always love my sons and daughters, no matter what. Even to my own hurt. I pray peace on my kids.

One of my favorite bands recorded this beautiful piece in memory of Martin, The Marathon Boy. I hope his message of peace resonates with you as you listen.

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception