HEAD(hed), (n.) 1. the top part of the human body or the front part of an animal where the eyes, nose, east and mouth are. "Your brain is in your head." DIBS(dibz), (n.) 2. a thick, sweet syrup made in countries of the East, especially the Middle East, from grape juice or dates. [Arabic "debs"]--World Book Dictionary, 1976.
I’ve been spending the last few months on something I’ve always wanted to do: write a book. I’m using every possible moment on this project and it’s really coming along. I am currently 7 chapters completed out of a potential 20. However, given the source material, each chapter is just a little bit longer than the previous. So who knows when I’ll be finished. I’m learning so much tho!
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Be Ready
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
What do you do when nothing goes as planned? The overly simplest answer is: "be ready for anything." The best way to do this is to tell yourself this, first thing in the morning: "be ready for anything." The practice sounds trite but once you make a habit of it, one finds one is ready for whatever comes your way. It's a simple reminder that anything can happen, and it usually does.
My plan for Monday was to get up and go about the day, as usual. Instead, first thing Monday morning I got my coffee and began to prepare myself for the day, including getting my thoughts aligned, per above. Then came the news: something is wrong with the downstairs toilet. Boy was there ever something wrong.
Now, I had every opportunity to blow my stack through the day but I kept returning to "be ready for anything." Just the day before, on Sunday, I had just taught a lesson in from the Old Testament book of Job--you remember the guy--he lost everything then broke out with sores all over his body while being "comforted" by three of the worse "friends" a guy could have. The heart of the lesson was this: there's more to the picture, so step back and get a "view from above." See, there was more to Job's situation than anyone knew (at the time). So I went through the day reminding myself that:
Freaking out accomplishes nothing
Someone, somewhere was having a much worse situation that a clogged toilet, so why complain?
There's much more to the situation if I "step back" away from it and view it as an outsider and
I could not control the situation but I could control my response.
With these in mind, I also kept reviewing points from the lesson I taught just one day previous:
Life is not formulaic, predictable;
Many (all) of life's problems have an explanation, whether we like that explanation or not;
Weigh and measure the words of friends without getting derailed by their in-sensitivities or errors (see video, below);
Trust God is working behind the scenes and our suffering has purpose.
So how did it all work out? Well, besides getting things flowing the way they should, I learned . . .
. . . some things work and others don't (aka,"creative failure methodology")
. . . some projects take a little longer. Be patient.
. . . some things come with "satisfaction guaranteed" refunds, so I'll be getting some dollars back (always read your labels for "this product will work or" statements)
. . . to do things I've never done before, like how to run one of those big ol' 75' 1/2" augers from Home Depot.
I learned that when one is flexible, one is not broken.
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...