Why So Busy?

"For love of bustle is not industry – it is only the restlessness of a hunted mind." 
(Seneca, Letter 3)

I'll be the first to admit that it's difficult to relax. I often feel like I need to be doing something all the time--but what does all that busy-ness reveal? It only shows I am "driven" not "driving." Ponder that for a second.

Seneca's simple instruction makes me realize how much stress I create for myself by keeping busy. What do I accomplish by wearing myself out? Even bread after all that kneading need to rest in order to grow, to produce. Even God rested after creation and we are far from anything divine.

When one inventories all that is on the mind, two categories become clear: what am I able to control (responsible for) and what I am NOT able to control. Once this distinction is made then half of what haunts the mind dissipates. One realizes that the other half does not have the urgency it seems, so that can be released as well.

Give yourself a break. There's no need to create conflict when there is none. You are not being hunted, so don't allow your mind to run as if you were. No need to create turbulence or difficult circumstances for yourself or for anyone else.


Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception