Thoughts on Plato's "Meno"
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Meno wants to know if virtue (Ἀρετή, “arete”-- also translates as “excellence”) can be taught. What is virtue (excellence)? The beauty of Socrates is that when asked a question, he always assumes ignorance and through dialogue intends to search out an answer (in short, the second subject discussed in “Meno” is the subject of learning, where Socrates holds that since the soul is immortal and we already know everything, what we call “learning” is merely “remembering”). So Meno the student becomes Meno the teacher, providing Socrates with a definition that gets put to the test. Meno defines virtue as . .. well, he doesn’t. But they come close and Socrates has fun with the boy (one assumes he’s a boy). “Even someone who was blindfolded would know from your conversation that you are handsome and still have lovers.” That's rich!
No matter how hard they try (and they do try), they just can’t seem to define virtue (“excellence”). They are able to explore things that are considered virtuous, but the rock-bottom answer they seek is elusive. One fact they can agree on is the answer to their question formed a different way: is virtue acquired (as in by learning) or is it a gift (something given)? You'll have to read to find the answer.
Regardless, this dialogue returns us back to the age-old dilemma regarding trying to discover "what is right" and "what is good." We may disagree on the particulars of what is "right" and what is "good," but we all agree there is this thing called "right" and this thing called "good." We know that leadership or housekeeping can be done with excellence, but what is it exactly? We know . . . but we don't. And that's Socrates' point. We don't fully understand until we sit down and talk it out. The answer is there. Find it.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...
