"I want it THAT way"
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
I want to be perfectly, 100%, completely and truly honest here. I only skimmed Exodus 26-28. I did not read it. I skimmed it. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve read it before, I know what it says, but I did not read it.
Pretty boring stuff, right? If there was a “Better Homes and Gardens” channel of the Ancient Near East, this is it. I would crack a Martha Stewart joke here, but it’s just not the same anymore . . . thanks, Martha.
How to make curtains from linen and goats’ hair.
How to make boards and sockets.
How to make a veil and a screen.
How to make a bronze altar.
How to make a court.
How to make clothes for priests.
I mean, c’mon. I must have yawned about half-way through the first paragraph of the first chapter-skim.
Then I got convicted.
This is not “The Idiots’ Guide to Porta-Churches”.
This is not Extreme Temple Makeover.
These are the way God wants it done. These are God’s instructions to build what He wants built. These are His blueprints, His plan, His color selection . . . He even chose the appliances and the uniforms for those who will work there.
These are God’s instructions on how to make and shape and cut and cover and drape and paint and dress. He tells what kind of oil to put in the lamps, how to hang the drapes, how to dress.
This is the way God wants it done.
Isn’t that how it is, though? God says something and we yawn, we jump ahead, we pray a little faster (Oh, God, you know our hearts). God tells us what He wants and we shrug it off . . .
What happens if the Israelites took short-cuts, missed a step? One almost dare not think of it.
God was coming to live in their midst. The tent was small and the outer covering was ugly and the inside was the dwelling for the uncontainable.
Sounds like me—ugly on the outside, dwelling place of the most High God . . .
And I skip steps in life.
If you need me, I’ll be over here . . . reading . . . making certain God is satisfied.
Pretty boring stuff, right? If there was a “Better Homes and Gardens” channel of the Ancient Near East, this is it. I would crack a Martha Stewart joke here, but it’s just not the same anymore . . . thanks, Martha.
How to make curtains from linen and goats’ hair.
How to make boards and sockets.
How to make a veil and a screen.
How to make a bronze altar.
How to make a court.
How to make clothes for priests.
I mean, c’mon. I must have yawned about half-way through the first paragraph of the first chapter-skim.
Then I got convicted.
This is not “The Idiots’ Guide to Porta-Churches”.
This is not Extreme Temple Makeover.
These are the way God wants it done. These are God’s instructions to build what He wants built. These are His blueprints, His plan, His color selection . . . He even chose the appliances and the uniforms for those who will work there.
These are God’s instructions on how to make and shape and cut and cover and drape and paint and dress. He tells what kind of oil to put in the lamps, how to hang the drapes, how to dress.
This is the way God wants it done.
Isn’t that how it is, though? God says something and we yawn, we jump ahead, we pray a little faster (Oh, God, you know our hearts). God tells us what He wants and we shrug it off . . .
What happens if the Israelites took short-cuts, missed a step? One almost dare not think of it.
God was coming to live in their midst. The tent was small and the outer covering was ugly and the inside was the dwelling for the uncontainable.
Sounds like me—ugly on the outside, dwelling place of the most High God . . .
And I skip steps in life.
If you need me, I’ll be over here . . . reading . . . making certain God is satisfied.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
The Island-Fish
“O ye passengers, whom may God preserve! come up quickly in to the ship, hasten to embark, and leave your merchandise, and flee with your lives, and save yourselves from destruction; for this apparent island, upon which ye are, is not really an island, but it is a great fish that hath become stationary in the midst of the sea, and the sand hath accumulated upon it, so that it hath become like an island, and trees have grown upon it since times of old; and when ye lighted the fire upon it, the fish felt the heat, and put itself in motion, and now it will descend with you into the sea, and ye will all be drowned: then seek for yourselves escape before destruction, and leave the merchandise.—The passengers, therefore, hearing the words of the master of the ship, hastened to go up into the vessel, leaving the merchandise, and their other goods, and their copper cooking-pots, and their fire-pots; and some reached the ship, and others reached it not. The island had moved, and descended...
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...