Life with the Jacobsons
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
I heard someone recently say that people are the greatest stressor on the face of the earth . . . and the greatest blessing. This is the flavor of the next set of chapters, Genesis 33-35.
As if a line were drawn in the sand, we are introduced to the Jacobsons and they are a wild bunch. Their father is just getting family matters setteled (32-33) and he builds an altar to the Lord (33:20). In stark contrast, his daughter goes off and is raped to which two brothers respond with large-scale vengeance and murder (34). Chapter 35 opens with God telling Jacob to pull up stakes and go build an altar to God.
I wonder what Jacob was feeling? What was he thinking?
As my family dynamics go through their cycles, I am learning how important it is to raise my children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, but I am also learning the deeper pain of parenthood when I see my kids hold onto bad decisions. They don't just make them--they hold them. Salting the wound--I remember what I did to my parents and I know exactly what they feel though I apologized already years ago.
My wife and I keep remembering that we must keep worshipping God. We must keep taking our children to worship God. We must keep teaching and nurturing with admonition. We must fast and pray (as some only come out with fasting and prayer). We must keep going to God.
Spurgeon says this on 35:18, "Sad hearts have peculiar skill in discovering the most disadvantageous point of view from which to gaze upon a trial; if there were only one slough in the world, they would soon be up to their necks in it, and if there were only one lion in the desert they would hear it roar. About us all there is a tinge of this wretched folly, and we are apt, at times, like Jacob, to cry, “All these things are against me.” Faith’s way of walking is to cast all care upon the Lord, and then to anticipate good results from the worst calamities."
Spurgeon, C. H. Morning and Evening : Daily Readings, March 8 PM. Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1995.
As if a line were drawn in the sand, we are introduced to the Jacobsons and they are a wild bunch. Their father is just getting family matters setteled (32-33) and he builds an altar to the Lord (33:20). In stark contrast, his daughter goes off and is raped to which two brothers respond with large-scale vengeance and murder (34). Chapter 35 opens with God telling Jacob to pull up stakes and go build an altar to God.
I wonder what Jacob was feeling? What was he thinking?
As my family dynamics go through their cycles, I am learning how important it is to raise my children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, but I am also learning the deeper pain of parenthood when I see my kids hold onto bad decisions. They don't just make them--they hold them. Salting the wound--I remember what I did to my parents and I know exactly what they feel though I apologized already years ago.
My wife and I keep remembering that we must keep worshipping God. We must keep taking our children to worship God. We must keep teaching and nurturing with admonition. We must fast and pray (as some only come out with fasting and prayer). We must keep going to God.
Spurgeon says this on 35:18, "Sad hearts have peculiar skill in discovering the most disadvantageous point of view from which to gaze upon a trial; if there were only one slough in the world, they would soon be up to their necks in it, and if there were only one lion in the desert they would hear it roar. About us all there is a tinge of this wretched folly, and we are apt, at times, like Jacob, to cry, “All these things are against me.” Faith’s way of walking is to cast all care upon the Lord, and then to anticipate good results from the worst calamities."
Spurgeon, C. H. Morning and Evening : Daily Readings, March 8 PM. Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1995.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...