Shut up
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Someone once wrote that Noah found grace in the same way that Paul obtained mercy (1 Tim. 1:16), namely, by mercy's taking hold of him.
When I think of the flood narrative, I realize two things that happened simultaneously: God punished and God saved.
Spurgeon wrote to the effect that Noah and family were all shut up away from the world and no evil harm could reach them. Before the flood the world was so wicked Noah stuck out like a sore thumb. The growing population (if I may) was getting out of hand, accustomed to taking matters into their own hands. "But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD" (Gen 6:8). God told Noah to build a boat according to the dimensions of God's grace.
Noah and family were shut up by the hand of divine love.
Noah and family stayed shut up with the God of Noah. They were there by invitation, "Come into the ark". The Lord invited Noah and his family to where He was. Noah and his family chose to dwell with God and God chose to dwell with them. There was as much mercy in those flood waters as there was judgment.
"Floods did but lift him heavenward, and winds did but waft him on his way."
I can't help but think of this (if you know it, sing along):
O the deep, deep love of Jesus,
vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me,
is the current of Thy love
Leading onward, leading homeward to Thy glorious rest above!
O the deep, deep love of Jesus,
love of every love the best!
’Tis an ocean full of blessing,
’tis a haven giving rest!
O the deep, deep love of Jesus,
’tis a heaven of heavens to me;
And it lifts me up to glory, for it lifts me up to Thee!
Now, I really want to say some things regarding the science of the whole affair, but I will leave that to the real commentators. I want to summarize:
When I think of the flood narrative, I realize two things that happened simultaneously: God punished and God saved.
Spurgeon wrote to the effect that Noah and family were all shut up away from the world and no evil harm could reach them. Before the flood the world was so wicked Noah stuck out like a sore thumb. The growing population (if I may) was getting out of hand, accustomed to taking matters into their own hands. "But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD" (Gen 6:8). God told Noah to build a boat according to the dimensions of God's grace.
Noah and family were shut up by the hand of divine love.
Noah and family stayed shut up with the God of Noah. They were there by invitation, "Come into the ark". The Lord invited Noah and his family to where He was. Noah and his family chose to dwell with God and God chose to dwell with them. There was as much mercy in those flood waters as there was judgment.
"Floods did but lift him heavenward, and winds did but waft him on his way."
I can't help but think of this (if you know it, sing along):
O the deep, deep love of Jesus,
vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me,
is the current of Thy love
Leading onward, leading homeward to Thy glorious rest above!
O the deep, deep love of Jesus,
love of every love the best!
’Tis an ocean full of blessing,
’tis a haven giving rest!
O the deep, deep love of Jesus,
’tis a heaven of heavens to me;
And it lifts me up to glory, for it lifts me up to Thee!
Now, I really want to say some things regarding the science of the whole affair, but I will leave that to the real commentators. I want to summarize:
- God observes the righteous (Gen 6:8),
- God preserves the righteous (Gen 6:13-7:1ff),
- God delivers the righteous (Gen 7:11-24),
- God remembers the righteous (Gen 8:1ff),
- God blessed the righteous (Gen 9:1-18),
- But the righteous need to leave matters in God's hands (Gen 9:20-29)
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
The Island-Fish
“O ye passengers, whom may God preserve! come up quickly in to the ship, hasten to embark, and leave your merchandise, and flee with your lives, and save yourselves from destruction; for this apparent island, upon which ye are, is not really an island, but it is a great fish that hath become stationary in the midst of the sea, and the sand hath accumulated upon it, so that it hath become like an island, and trees have grown upon it since times of old; and when ye lighted the fire upon it, the fish felt the heat, and put itself in motion, and now it will descend with you into the sea, and ye will all be drowned: then seek for yourselves escape before destruction, and leave the merchandise.—The passengers, therefore, hearing the words of the master of the ship, hastened to go up into the vessel, leaving the merchandise, and their other goods, and their copper cooking-pots, and their fire-pots; and some reached the ship, and others reached it not. The island had moved, and descended...
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...