Playtime!

Image
I just love this picture: boy and plane, off the ground.

31 Days Of An Ultimate Fitness Challenge: Day 2 "Get Moving"

We were made to move. Certain parts of our bodies bend in certain ways, so it is evident that movement is in our design. This little obvious fact is helpful as one considers what one wants to do with that movement. In other words, what do you want to accomplish with all that movement?

My personal journey began out of boredom and apathy. When I began to move, things changed. I felt better. Eventually my heart doctor said, "let's take you off those meds. You don't need them anymore." Later, after a revisit, he said, "you are in the top of the class for your fitness level!" I liked the sound of that so I kept moving!

It all started with movement. Walking 15 minutes a day. Without a plan, my movement became weight loss, but then my weight loss became fitness. Sure, it's better to have a plan, but I didn't. And that's ok.

Weight loss sounds good and to a point, weight loss is a great goal. But in my personal journey, I found that the scale is not my friend. Religiously (and perhaps habitually) I still step on the scale, but it almost never moves. So what am I doing? Fitness. Functional movement. CrossFit and similar approaches have taught me that movement is key.

May I share an observation?

We bend, flex, and stretch in certain ways, so our training should compliment those movements. Machines makes us move in unnatural ways. Our bodies are the machines. Machines have a place, but should not be the primary source of training our personal machine. Leg Curls are unnatural but squats are. Just think about it.

If you use a machine, just keep moving.
If you use a treadmill, just keep moving.
That's all.



Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

Finished Reading: Edward The Second