HEAD(hed), (n.) 1. the top part of the human body or the front part of an animal where the eyes, nose, east and mouth are. "Your brain is in your head." DIBS(dibz), (n.) 2. a thick, sweet syrup made in countries of the East, especially the Middle East, from grape juice or dates. [Arabic "debs"]--World Book Dictionary, 1976.
I’ve been spending the last few months on something I’ve always wanted to do: write a book. I’m using every possible moment on this project and it’s really coming along. I am currently 7 chapters completed out of a potential 20. However, given the source material, each chapter is just a little bit longer than the previous. So who knows when I’ll be finished. I’m learning so much tho!
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
"Bear Complex"
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
Holy Smokes.
Ok, yesterday was a holiday so the CrossFit box I follow did not post a WOD so I thought to myself, "self," I says, "self--why don't you do the Bear Complex?" And I says to myself, "nope. Would love to, but I'll do the Hero WOD 'DT' instead."
So I did.
I did DT with a heavier weight than I've ever done before (115# all the way through). Felt mighty first thing this morning.
So I get up and check the WOD. Bear Complex. I can't remember if I was happy or sad, but "5k" did cross my mind at one point. So I'm sore all morning. Popping Tylenol and Ibuprofen and making sure I'm getting enough protein to recover. I get into the gym and think, "Ok. Bear Complex. I did 115# pounds yesterday, so why not?" I got started and after the third rep of the first set knew that I had to adjust my game face. Got through the first set.
Added 10# and nearly died. I heard angels singing. I saw my body waaaayyyy down there.
After the second rep, I knew I was in trouble. Yes, I dropped the bar. Not supposed to do that in Bear. But I did. But I picked it up again. Don't tell me I bit off more than I can chew unless you've chewed it too. The minutes passed like weeks. But you gotta admit--there's something satisfying in dropping weights.
Took off the 10# for the last set. I was pretty much done. Two days of basically the same movements smoked me.
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...