Another Look

Ever had one of those experiences that made such an impact that you just had to go back and do it again, and each time the experience was just as exhilarating as the first? Like going to the State Fair and riding that one ride that just had to be ridden again and again (to the dismay of the wallet)?

I've read books that have called me back again and again. No matter how many times I've read them, despite how much I know what's going to happen when I turn the page, these books have called out to me over the years and will never grow old.

"A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens is the first book to which I refer and one primary reason the book intrigues me is because I hold the opinion that Charles Dickens is the father of science fiction. Despite its' brief and simple story, the tale is packed with imagery that deserve another look. For example, why does a man who clings to his riches live in the servant quarters of the mansion? Dickens does not tell us this outright, but rather shows us in the early scene when the old miser arrives home and settles down for the night--and bells begin to ring.

The second book is Ray Bradbury's book, "The Illustrated Man". One may not realize at first but the two books discussed here have a few points of interest, namely that one very well could not have happened without the other. What I mean to say is that Dickens is more than the father of science fiction, he is specifically the father of time travel.

Bradbury gave us an amazing collection of short stories all hanging within the framework of another short story. And each story takes place in a different setting, in a different time--my most favorite being "Kaleidoscope".

In the comments below, take moment to mention the books you like--namely, the one you just can't put down! 

Popular posts from this blog

“Men and women who saw God in the Bible: Why did they not all die?”

A Sonnet

A Fresh Perception