Enchiridion 11: Give Up, Let Go
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
"Never say of anything, 'I have lost it;' but, 'I have restored it.' Has your child died? It is restored. Has your wife died? She is restored. Has your estate been taken away? That likewise is restored. 'But it was a bad man who took it.' What is it to you by whose hands he who gave it has demanded it again? While he permits you to possess it, hold it as something not your own; as do travelers at an inn." (Epictetus, Enchiridion 11)
All you have, including life itself, is on loan. You are a traveler who borrows a bed for a while before going on your way. Every person and every thing you enjoy comes and goes.
The word translated "restored" (ἀποδίδωμι, "apodidomi" a compound word of: ἀπο (apo)--"from, away from"; and δίδωμι (didomi)-- "give") is also translated as: give away, give up, give out, give back, repay, pay out (such as taxes), render, reward. It also includes the idea of fulfilling a duty. A handful of uses render the word as "sell."
Think of it this way: when traveling, you leave the hotel behind with no second thought. You stay for while, then leave. The hotel manager gladly receives you at check in, but how does he view your going? You come, you go.
When students enter a school or university, it is understood that they will go. They graduate, we let them go. A family member dies, we let them go. Property is taken away by fire, flood, filchery or failure to pay--you give what you have. Let it go. For everything that replaces what was taken, that will go too until it's your turn to go.
Whatever is "in your hand,"
hold on loosely.
hold on loosely.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...