Enchiridion 45, (Supplimental): Perception
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Yesterday a few short comments were posted regarding Enchiridion 45, but the post was incomplete. Please consider this supplemental:
Couched within these words is the Stoic principle of "calling a thing what it is." This is an exercise in perception. Epictetus makes you think about what you see: a person takes a quick bath--what do you say about it? "You did that wrong"? Or someone drinks too much. Do you pass judgement about it and say that what the person does is wrong? Instead you should say, "that was a short bath" or "that guy drinks alot." This is not passing judgment, but calling an act what it is.
Consider the example of Marcus Aurelius: when your food is presented before you, call it what it is--dead fish, dead bird, dead pig, grape juice, etc. Look at your clothes: sheep's wool dyed with blood of a shell-fish. See things as they are. Call things what they are.
In checking your perception, you reserve judgement for things that actually matter. If you say (for example) that taking a short bath is wrong or bad, then what do we say when a person actually does something morally wrong or bad? Do you make bathing a moral act? No. So why judge them equally? Marcus Aurelius instructs to make proper use of reason, to be careful with language.
One place this becomes helpful is during periods of suffering. The story is told of Epictetus being beat by his master. In so many words, Epictetus warned his master, "keep doing that and you will break my leg." His master did not relent and broke Epictetus' leg. His response? "Now you've done it."
There is strength in calling a thing what it is. It keeps one grounded to reality.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...