Enchiridion 22: Change With Humility
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
"If you have an earnest desire of attaining to philosophy, prepare yourself from the very first to be laughed at, to be sneered by the multitude, to hear them say, 'He is returned to us a philosopher all at once,' and 'Whence this supercilious look?' Now, for your part, don't have a supercilious look indeed; but keep steadily to those things which appear best to you as one appointed by God to this station. For remember that, if you adhere to the same point, those very persons who at first ridiculed will afterwards admire you. But if you are conquered by them, you will incur a double ridicule." (Epictetus, Enchiridion 22)
There's no reason to make a show of whatever you do (practicing the love of wisdom, pursuing self improvement or diet, engaging in some kind of training--preaching to the choir here). People will see changes as you make them and may at first respond in less encouraging ways. Make sure to exercise humility. No need to put on airs about what you are doing. Just be natural in what comes natural to you.
It's easy to fall into a trap of "look what I'm doing." That can lead to humiliation when after a while the excitement dies out and friends ask, "hey, you still doing that thing?" Then you are tempted to come up with a reason that does not sound suspiciously like, "I lost interest" or "I could not do it." Don't put yourself in that position.
But let's say you stick to it--you have successfully made a life-change--don't let that change your demeanor or the way you interact with those around you. Don't look down on people are aren't doing your thing. Be admired for embracing the change with humility, and not set yourself up as an object of ridicule.
Whatever you do, do it well.
There's no reason to make a show of whatever you do (practicing the love of wisdom, pursuing self improvement or diet, engaging in some kind of training--preaching to the choir here). People will see changes as you make them and may at first respond in less encouraging ways. Make sure to exercise humility. No need to put on airs about what you are doing. Just be natural in what comes natural to you.
It's easy to fall into a trap of "look what I'm doing." That can lead to humiliation when after a while the excitement dies out and friends ask, "hey, you still doing that thing?" Then you are tempted to come up with a reason that does not sound suspiciously like, "I lost interest" or "I could not do it." Don't put yourself in that position.
But let's say you stick to it--you have successfully made a life-change--don't let that change your demeanor or the way you interact with those around you. Don't look down on people are aren't doing your thing. Be admired for embracing the change with humility, and not set yourself up as an object of ridicule.
Whatever you do, do it well.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Popular posts from this blog
"On Keeping A Notebook" by Joan Didion
I'm nearly finished reading Joan Didion's collection of essays, Slouching Towards Bethlehem. The book was discovered through another book I was reading, Jon Krakauer's Eiger Dreams . If Jon felt this book was good enough to pack along on a mountain climbing expedition, then I'm interested. Took me three tries, but I finally found my copy on Amazon. One of the best book buys I've made. Joan selected the title of this book from William Butler Yeats' classic poem, Second Coming . The book title is shared with one of her larger essays, a record of encounters with people in the 1960's drug culture. Didion's book is divided into three distinct parts: "Life Styles In The Golden Land," a collection of articles capturing the California experience of the 1960's; "Personals," a few of essays of the first-hand nature; and "Seven Places Of The Mind", some thoughts about those parts of California that are now long gone. One essay...
I’ll Be Gnome For Christmas
“And so, about this tomb of mine . . . “
“VANITY, saith the preacher, vanity! Draw round my bed: is Anselm keeping back? Nephews—sons mine … ah God, I know not! Well— She, men would have to be your mother once, Old Gandolf envied me, so fair she was! What’s done is done, and she is dead beside, Dead long ago, and I am Bishop since, And as she died so must we die ourselves, And thence ye may perceive the world’s a dream. Life, how and what is it? As here I lie In this state-chamber, dying by degrees, Hours and long hours in the dead night, I ask “Do I live, am I dead?” Peace, peace seems all. Saint Praxed’s ever was the church for peace; And so, about this tomb of mine. I fought With tooth and nail to save my niche, ye know: —Old Gandolf cozened me, despite my care; Shrewd was that snatch from out the corner South He graced his carrion with, God curse the same! Yet still my niche is not so cramped...